Thursday, May 26, 2016

Butter Side Up - Preview

It's no secret that I've finally gotten around to playing with my Redington Butter Stick here in the Minnesota Driftless Area.  I've been teasing that I'd write more about it soon, because I had actually planned to do so by now.  Truth is, I'm still learning NOT to cast this fiberglass rod like a graphite stick.  I even resorted to some lawn casting at the campground last Saturday afternoon before I trekked downstream past sundown.  I need one more weekend with my mellow, yellow friend before I start telling stories about it.

One quick tale:  While I was lawn casting out in front of the Mobile Hotel®, our campsite neighbor popped up from his chair and watched me for a few casts.  He and his wife, both retired, recently decided to take up fly angling.  He watched me make several casts and then asked, "How do you get it to unroll like that at the end?"  I was simultaneously pleased and horrified... Talk about the blind leading the blind!

9 comments:

  1. Congrats on hopefully getting another individual interested in this great sport. thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't take any credit at all for getting the pair interested, Bill. They had already invested in rods and inexpensive waders. After spending some time in those waders, they had a lot of questions about my equipment and then invested in more. So, I'd say they were already committed. I was flattered and a bit shocked when the husband started asking about casting. I can teach many things, but fly casting is not one of them. ;)

      Delete
  2. One more time for old times sake...I told you so. The Butterstick must have made you look like an old pro. When I first cast one I swore I'd never like it. (personal grudge against Redington) When I did cast it I was amazed I hadn't realized that I had cast. That light to hand. Slow it down Chris.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Father Fiberglass, I am trying to change my evil habits. I will be a willow in the wind... ;)

      Delete
  3. Will be looking forward to further review of your experience with the Butterstick. I have a few glass rods, (really cheap ones) so have not made a big push to pick up a better quality fiberglass rod. I am afraid I would struggle transitioning from Graphite to Glass also..........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's interesting to me because it felt better than another rod that my daughter and I were using a couple of weekends ago in really tight quarters. But, the change does force me to actually THINK about my cast, rather than rely pure on habit or 'muscle memory.'

      Delete
  4. People seem to love their Buttersticks, have seen many a positive review, it seems like an awesome rod. I have one of the Cabela's private-label CGR glass rods and love it. Just something about a slower, limber rod that just makes fishing so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I remember some guys on the Driftless Trout Anglers board recently chatting about a recent special, picking up a CGR for less than a Benjamin. Reviews all positive.

      Delete
  5. Its amazing how we seem to "upgrade" backwards. I wonder at times what we ever thought we would find in the newer technology, each time I pick up a glass rod.

    ReplyDelete