Friday, June 10, 2016

Present State of Grace

I'll open with this: the band "Flogging Molly" definitely ain't for everyone.  Irish punk is probably a long-tail, deviant fanbase.  At least I'd like to think so.  All that aside, they have produced some acoustic masterpieces.  The feature ditty here has lots of that "deeper meaning" stuff I'm not equipped to decode.  Yet, there's just enough on the surface to set a few neurons firing and evoke a mild-but-deep reaction:  this is goodness, beauty, humor, and irreverence.


The bridge invokes a bit of the spirit of St. Norman:
'Cause only life, yeah only life has loneliness to sell
So celebrate, yeah live your life, live it and raise hell
The true prophet never spoke
He just smiled and saw the joke
And this present state of grace we creatures need
If you'd like some insight into how I could possibly find the Maclean boys in that quote, I invite you to review this piece I wrote earlier this year.  And if you can bear one more acoustic wonder with a brief sprinkling of twangy, bluesy electric guitar, the following never fails to make me smile:


Hoping you find your state of grace, and wishing that your tomorrow is better than today.

--The Fading Angler

2 comments:

  1. Well I don't really know what you're talking about but I'm amazed that I find Flogging Molly quite good. Reminds me a bit of the Irish Rovers. (Look it up if you need to) I encourage every one to check out the post that Chris' link leads to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Most of their other stuff is fairly frantic, but those two tunes are among my favorites. They appeal to my "half-a-bubble-off-plumb" nature...

    ReplyDelete